Ember

Ember - Bettie Sharpe *Originally reviewed on Pages Of Forbidden LoveI have only read a couple fairytale retelling but I really enjoy them. I had never read a retelling that was in the Adult genre though and when I read the summary for Ember I was pretty excited to buy it. I noticed that it was only a short story (less than 100 pages) but I had to get it anyway. In my head a story like this had so much potential. It sounded like such a different and unique take on the story and I couldn’t wait to read it.As an infant Prince Charming was “blessed” with Charm. People would want to be him and no one would be able to deny him. As Ember got older her mother would forbid her to look at him but then the day comes when Embers mother is too ill to enforce that rule and Ember is overcome with feelings of wanting the prince. Refusing to allow those feelings continue Ember finds a way to not be as vulnerable to his charms but of course Charming isn’t going to let her get away that easily. With the help of her stepmother and sisters she does her best to stay away from him but he is clever and makes that difficult for Ember. Ember knows she will never stop wanting him but she continues to find ways to resist him.Ember wasn’t exactly what I was expecting but it was still a good new twist to the story. Many things changed in this story and I found it very interesting. I thought the magic and the curse was a great change. I liked how many things had a cost in the story and how it also incorporated other fairytales very briefly and twisted them too. The whole story was very clever and although I did not dislike it I just didn’t love it.